An Agency who supports and provides care for children/youth dealing with issues of healthy connections, trauma, loss, and grief.
Our mission & vision
To support the growth of individuals and families into spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically, balanced and healthy people. Through support, compassion, love and respect, we will provide a safe and comfortable atmosphere for growth to prosper.
Providing a close partnership with our clients so they feel a sense of family, respectful of all diversity.
Our Objectives & values
To continue to make a difference for the future of our youth and children with an outstanding amount of hope and to offer guidance and support to youth, parents and communities to bring growth and unity.
Believing in change and making a difference, Safe and healthy environments, Valuing individuals and families, building relationship and Supportive of fresh starts.
Program scope of service is “Trauma Informed” long term “Tertiary Prevention” for high risk children/youth
The targeted children/youth are easy to identify. As children, when they approach adolescence, they will have already had a lengthy history of receiving authority services. The authority will have made numerous unsuccessful attempts to engage the child/family in well-resourced efforts to support the family in maintaining its integrity. The level of intrusiveness will have increased over time. The child will experience several out-of-home placements, seldom returning to the same caregivers when the return home attempts fail. Many will have also experienced extensive trauma through, emotional, physical and/or sexual abuse by the time they are placed with us. They will be several grade levels below their potential and may suffer from severe effects of Trauma and have dual diagnosis. Many will be under permanent guardianship orders with only a tenuous connection to their families.
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week supportive care from trauma informed trained staff
- Referrals to outside sources for medical and phycological care
- Stabilization, Supervision and Life Skills training in the areas of holistic wellness, interpersonal skills, goal planning, making healthy choices, problem solving and self awareness.
- Training and direction in decision making processes
- Support and understanding in acknowledging their complex trauma experiences
- Support to better enable them to come to terms with existing family problems while living outside the family unit
- Training in the development of problem-solving skills and in the identification and selection of appropriate resources. Referral’s regarding the community resources available to the youth
- Recreational and Cultural participation are strongly supported
- Personal spending budget and clothing allowance
- Transition planning (supported transition through agency to SIL)
In this program it is mandatory for the youth to participate in a progressive day program. This program may be full time school or work or a combination of both. The program plan/goal will be selected in consideration of the youth’s wants, needs and capabilities. Required support will be based on the individual needs and we can provide Life Skills learning to fit the client’s schedules after their education program or their work hours.
The idea of “Knowing where you come from, and who you are, and how you want to be” is a good starting point for the youth that come to our program. Using a holistic approach Changes For Hope focuses on the Physical, Emotional, Mental and Spiritual aspects of each youth in our care, understanding that each is at a different place on their journey. We strive to ensure 1/3 of our staff has an aboriginal background and Changes For Hope is committed to recruiting and training staff in diverse cultural teachings. All Caregivers are required to support the cultural components into the service planning goals as much as possible.